Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Living (relatively) closer to the Mexican subcontinent has given me a whole new perspective on - and a greater appreciation of - the delights of Mexican food.
I love, Love, LOVE Guacamole and eat it as a stand alone meal all too often. Yeah, yeah, judge me - whatever!
- 4 small avocados or 2 large hass avocados
- 1 onion - small to medium sized (white or yellow)
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2-4 cloves of garlic (depending on your taste)
- 2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes
- 1 cup sour cream
- diced jalapenos (use as many as you like - I put in about 12 slices chopped up)
- handful of coriander (that's 'cilantro' to your Americans)
- pinch of chili powder (or cayenne pepper if you prefer a more subtle kick)
- salt and pepper to taste
Just chop up all the ingredients and mix them together in a bowl OR if you're not up for all that dicing you can just whack it all a food processor - but beware you'll generally end up with a more smooth consistency. (Then again, you might be making this for your poor old granny who might appreciate being able to ingest it sans-chewing.)
I sometimes leave out the sour cream and it tastes just as good. You can also substitute the onion for a bunch of spring onions ('Green Onions' to those of you in the USofA) and that works well too. This should make quite a bit of guacamole so you might want to halve the quantities, unless you're having a party!